Aldershot Army Stadium

Army 4-0 HM Prison Service

Match report from Major Campbell Moffat from the recent annual fixture.

Army Vs Prison Service 6 Oct 15

Aldershot Military Stadium


1.  LCpl Cairney

2.  WO2 Haley

3.  Gnr Broadbent

4.  LCpl Farkins

5.  LCpl Poulter

6.  Spr Wright

7.  Spr Stoneman

8.  Sig Williams

9.  LCpl Wilkinson

10.  LCpl Agar

11.  Spr Creamer


12.  Pte Wooley

14.  Capt Smyth

15.  Spr Williams

16.  LCpl MacAnespie 

17.  Sig May

18.  LCpl Rookes

19. Trp Taylor


Conditions were overcast and blustery, and with rain forecast the crowds had stayed away for this annual fixture against the Prison Service.  The pitch looked in fantastic condition although heavy underfoot by all accounts.  The Army were able to field a good side with a mixture of experience, youth and no small amount of skill on call.  The Prison Service looked to be light handed although their coach was adamant that he had brought enough to give us a testing time.


From the outset, it was clear that the Army were going to dominate and all the early pressure came from the home team.  The first glimpse of a chance came by way improvisation, with Spr Wright trying to catch the keeper off his line from a good forty yards out; the ball just dipping over the crossbar to the relief of the rapidly recovering keeper.  It did not take long for the Army to press home their advantage. Seven minutes in, a quick break by Williams down the right hand side delivered a smart cut back to find Wilkinson in space on the edge of the box and with just enough time to pick his spot and drive a low shot past the right glove of the extended keeper.  1-0 Army.  

Just minutes after the restart the same pair combined again, this time with Williams driving in a low shot that Wilkinson could not steer onto the target form six yards out.  The game went flat for the next ten minutes with neither side creating opportunity until the Prison Service created some space in behind Broadbent at left back.  This action drew a fine tackle from Skipper Farkins just before the forward released the shot on the edge of the six yard box.  This narrow escape sparked the Army back into action with Wright, Williams and Agar linking up play through the centre in order to create space down the flanks for Creamer and Steinman to exploit.  The Army’ second came after Broadbent’s ambitious pass skidded under the studs of the defender with Stoneman the happy recipient of a clear run in on goal.  He casually took it round the keeper and slotted home with ease.  2 – 0 Army and 10 minutes to play in the half.

It was just before the half time whistle when the crowd were exposed to the best piece of play thus far.  A magical solo effort from LCpl Sammy Agar who picked the ball on the fringe of the box, weaved passed two defenders, drew the keeper, sent him the wrong way and tucked the ball into the net.  A great individual effort that gave the Army a 3 – 0 lead at the half.

The second half saw Wright replaced by Spr Taylor. The first 15 minutes of the second half lacked sparkle and both teams appeared to be going through the motions.  More of an issue for the visitors who needed some spark to close the three goal deficit.  It was not until the 60th minute when Agar, having beat the defender, lost control of the ball (and his patience) and lunged into the oncoming keeper.  He was booked by the referee with the opposition rightly demanding a ‘red card’.  Coach for the day, Neil Reilly, made the correct decision to exchange Agar for May and in doing so took the wind out of the Prison Service sails after seeing their keeper removed as a result of the errant tackle.  The game, like the weather started to deteriorate and despite the occasional foray, which included a well struck free kick from Broadbent, the Army seemed content to sit back and soak up what little pressure the Prison Service could muster.  The final play of note saw Wilkinson link with Stoneman, with the latter’s nimble feet drawing an obvious foul from a committed yet off balance defender.  The referee had no option but to award a penalty and Wilkinson scored to bring the Army’s total to four and his own personal tally up to two.


Overall, a solid performance. Positive takeaways for me; the solid back four with Farkins and Poulter setting the tone and the excellent performance of the new skipper; assured, confident and imposing.  A good starter for ten.