Basic Referee Course
How to get started
2022/23 Army FA Basic Referee Course
The FA Referee Course is designed to equip new referees with the key skills and knowledge they will need to be able to referee grassroots football matches safely and effectively. The course comprises of the online learning of the Laws of the Game (LOTG), the online Safeguarding for Children course and face to face training. Learners must complete the online learning before attending the face-to-face training. This course is for people who want to referee mini football, 9 v 9 and/or 11 v 11 football.
The course itself costs £120.00, a registration fee of £20.00 to the Army and English FA is included in course cost. Learners can expect a reimbursement of these fees up to £150.00 if the standards are met. This covers the face-to-face training and the online Safeguarding course.
Course duration: 4 days
- Overview of course expectations and commitments
- Basic outline of the Laws of the Game to provide an initial understanding
- Introduction to the DNA of English Refereeing and the process of completing the course
A mixture of practical and theoretical referee training, focusing on the key skills and techniques required to be a referee. This is then coupled with the practical application of law and the different scenarios that can be faced in a game. Some of the topics covered are; Signals & Communication, Fouls & Misconduct and Positioning & Movement.
Upon completion of Unit 4, a practical Evaluation of Performance and Assessment Of Knowledge is completed to ensure you are ready for Unit 5.
Officiating five 11v11 or 9v9 games, where you are offered a referee mentor to support you on your first few games, with a self evaluation of each game.
Call back session where there is the opportunity to share experiences on the five games refereed, what has worked well and what you might do differently in the future. A final Laws of the Game Examination and information on what happens now and what opportunities are available i.e. Promotion, Academies, Development Groups, In-Service Training etc.
Before starting Block 5, a Safeguarding Children Workshop and Criminal Records Check (if applicable) must be completed.
The face-to-face part of course will take place over a five-day period. Future course dates and locations are below.
• Prince William of Gloucester Barracks, MOD Grantham – Monday 15th May to Thursday 18th May 2023. This will be in conjunction with the Army Sixes.
• Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College, Loughborough – Monday 24th July to Thursday 27th July 2023. This will be in conjunction with the Midlands Festival of Sport.
• Catterick Garrison – Monday 11th September to Thursday 14th September 2023. This will be in conjunction with the UK North competition.
Get in touch
For any referee enquiries, please email Steve Clout
Tel: 01252 787068 - Mil: 94222 7068