Upon completion of the Basic Referees course the following is required:
- Complete six matches as a Referee and return the "Six Match Form" from the FA Learning pack provided at the course or attached to this article.
- The Army FA will arrange with the FA for you to become a member of RA-FA and you will be provided with an exclusive number. A certificate and badge will also be provided.
- To gain promotion to Level 7 you will be required to attend a "Next Step Workshop (Module 5)". This can be arranged through the Army FA or, alternatively, a County FA nearer to where you are based.
To be assessed on any competitive matches (Major or Minor Unit standard)- use of Club Assistants permitted:
- Minimum of 3 assessments required
- Must attend a Level 7 to 6 promotion seminar
- Pass the Level 7 to 6 Laws of the Game examination
- Referee a minimum of 20 appointed matches.
Level 6 to 5
To be assessed on Competitive matches of Major Unit standard or equivalent, with Neutral Assistant Referees where practiciable:
- Minimum of 3 assessments required, one of the recommendations MUST be from a Select List Assessor
- Must attend a Level 6 to 5 Laws of the Game examination
- Referee a minimum of 20 appointed matches
- Officiate as an Assistant Referee on 5 appointments
Level 5 to Select List
- Serving Regular Army only
- Three recommendations from Select List Assessors (maximum of four assessments) from the start of their second season as a Level 5 Referee
- On reaching the age of 45 (as at 1st March) the Referee will be considered for annual extension on the Select List. Initiated and controlled by the Army FA Referees' Committee.
Level 5 to Level 4 (2016/17)
The Football Association
Criteria for Promotion from Level 5 to Level 4. This also applies for those referees going from Level 6 to Level 4 via Level 5
To be eligible for nomination, referees must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Senior County Referee (Level 5) as at the 1st March 2017
- Have received at least 5 assessments via the County Football Association (If some County FAs can only achieve 3/4 assessments then the top 50% of the club mark merit table criteria will remain) during the period 1st March 2016 - 28th February 2017
- Achieved an average assessment mark of 73 or above.
- Refereed a minimum of 20 adult male/female matches in total during the period 1st March 2016 - 28th February 2017. A number of County FAs include U18 and youth football on their CL1 return but these will not be considered by The FA in the decision-making process.
- Have completed a minimum of 10 appointments as Assistant Referee on adult male/female matches during the period 1st March 2016 - 28th February 2017 (It is recommended that as many as possible are at Supply League level)
- Be prepared and regularly available to referee Saturday and Midweek matches.
- Attend one of a possible 9 regional in-service Nomination Training Sessions, delivered by The Football Association, or have previously attended in 2015-16.
- Successfully complete an examination on the Laws of the Game
- Successfully complete a Contributory League Assistant Referee Fitness Test between 1st July 2016 – 28th February 2017, prior to nomination. The minimum standard to be attained is:
- 12 minute Continuous Run - minimum distance completed 2,600 metres
- 2 x 50 metre sprint – max 7.5 seconds for each sprint
(Unfortunately there have been a number of problems created by fitness tests being arranged by County FAs outside these dates therefore no referee will be promoted for the 2017/2018 season unless the test is within these dates)
Any referee removed from the Level 4 list must referee at Level 5 for a full playing season before they can become a candidate for nominated for a return to Level 4.
For example, for a referee removed from Level 4 at the end of 2015/16:
- 2016/17 - Level 5 referee
- 2017/18 - Level 5 referee seeking nomination to Level 4
- 2018/19 – Level 4 (if successful)
Also, as the Level 5-4 assessment mark criteria is very clear with a minimum requirement the referees copy of the assessment form MUST have the mark on it.
*There is a deposit payment of £30 required for each promotion candidate. All candidates who complete the package, irrespective of whether they gain promotion, will receive a refund in full.